Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Wedding Cakes and Wet Pits - continued

It was an hour ride home from the rehearsal so I took the time to make a game plan for the rest of the night (something I probably should have done earlier in the day). All the cakes were baked so I felt confident that I would be able to ice them and cover them in fondant by the end of the night.

Once I got home I started off on the wrong foot. I was cutting the crown of the cake off when the stupid knife slipped and my finger got in the way. Cut myself good too, Cake 1 - Me 0. It honestly looked like the scene from a horror movie. It spurt blood instantl, thankfully missing the cake but instead got on the counter and the floor and the sink and the roll of paper towel. I ran it under hot water, applied paper towel and applied pressure in an attempt to get it to stop bleeding. 15 minutes later it finally stopped enough for me to do a frantic search for band aids. Going to the hospital to see if I needed stitches was NOT an option. I had too much to do a too little time. Besides I would look goofy trying to carry flowers the next day with a bandaged up index finger. There were no bandages in the house and another trip to the store would take too long (plus I was still bleeding and I didn't want to freak people out by leaving a little blood trail) so I had to settle for the next best thing...Super Glue. It felt a little funny but it did the job. The cake will continue and I will triumph.

Everything else went well for the rest of the night. No more injuries occurred but with a still throbbing finger everything took a little longer than planned. The bottom tier was white cake with strawberry filling, next was orange cake with orange buttercream, white with chocolate buttercream, chocolate with chocolate buttercream and the top was another white cake with strawberry. Baby steps but I was getting closer. The next step was the fondant. Thankfully that went on with out a hitch. Lastly were the supports, I got most of those in but I looked at the clock and had to admit defeat for the night. It was 3am and I had to get up by 6am for the next days (I guess that days actually) event.

That three hours went by quicker than any three hours have ever gone by before. (If only work could go by that quickly). I woke up and realized I had to call my mom to see if I could borrow her car, oops that was on my to do list the night before. The cake wouldn't fit in my car so mom came to the rescue . We got the cake loaded and I was off, for a minute anyways. Forgot another item on my to do list. I forgot to get flowers for the cake. Minor detail. Let me tell you, at 6:30 am two days before Christmas NO flower shops are open. Kroger here I come, you were my saviour. $15 and the perfect flowers later I was off again.

Another hour long car ride, holding my breath the whole time in hopes that the cake didn't tip over or no car accident occured I was in the clear. I got to the brides house to get my hair done along with other wedding preparations. After my hair and makeup was done I was looking gorgeous and off to my next destination...To set the cake up.

I must say the bride and the groom have some great friends that they put a LOT of trust in. The groom's guy friends were decorating the hall and making it look pretty (and no they weren't gay friends). They did a good job I might add. The bride's stepfather was setting up and stocking the bar and some other people were helping with the linens. I set the cake up and realized that it was on the wrong table. I am a freaking genius I swear. I carried the cake across the room to the cake table and breathed a sigh of relief. This is where it was staying and it was NOT going to be moved again. It was finally over!! The cake was up and stable, decorated and looking pretty. Now I could go have fun with at the rest of the wedding and only get wet pits from dancing the night away instead of nerves. Here is wishing the bride and groom a lifetime of love and happiness.

By the way everything turned out perfect. The bride was beautiful. The groom was crazy happy and everything looked great. I don't know if you could get me to do this again though. It would have to be for another really special couple (or for money). Here is a pic of the cake. The picture is bad but the cake looks good. Final score: Cake 1 - Me 5.

No comments: